Gateshead 1 - 1 Eastwood Town

A late Jamie Harwood strike saw Gateshead salvage a draw against promotion chasers Eastwood Town at the International Stadium on Saturday.

Harwood's 92nd minute strike cancelled out Anthony Howell's impressive solo strike just after half time to ensure the Tynesiders remain unbeaten since New Years Day.

Gateshead welcomed back influential winger Wayne Phillips to the squad following two games out with a groin strain whilst record goalscorer Paul Thompson partnered Carl Jones in central defence with James Curtis still suspended.

It was the home side who created the first opening on six minutes when a probing Craig Baxter cross was not dealt with by the Eastwood defence and Graeme Armstrong was on hand only to fire his close-range shot on to the bar and out of play.

Eight minutes later and it was Baxter again who delivered, this time to the captain Steve Salvin, although the midfielder's shot was well saved down to the keeper's left.

In a half dominated by the hosts Paul Brayson crossed on 27 minutes only for Salvin's well-directed header to be expertly saved by the Eastwood keeper with Armstrong's follow up shot dealt with by the defence.

With three minutes until the interval a Davey Southern cross from the left presented Salvin with his third opportunity however his header fell just wide.

Half time: 0-0

Minutes after the restart the Nottinghamshire outfit were ahead as a result of a great Howell effort that saw the striker run with the ball and fire an unstoppable shot into Musselwhite's top right corner to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.

Just after the hour mark Jamie Harwood and Wayne Phillips replaced Salvin and Southern as Gateshead piled on the pressure, notably with a Phillips freekick that saw Armstrong head agonisingly wide for the hosts.

Six minutes later both teams were reduced to ten men when an off the ball incident saw an Eastwood defender and Paul Brayson dismissed following an altication in the Eastwood half.

With time running out Gateshad grabbed a dramatic and well-deserved equaliser when a ball from midfield saw substitute Harwood one on one with the keeper and the 23 year-old cooly slotted home to earn the Tynesiders a point.

Full time: 1-1

Team: Musselwhite, Baxter, Cave, Jones, Thompson (Talbot 79mins), Salvin (Harwood 65mins), Gate, Turnbull, Brayson, Armstrong, Southern (Phillips 65mins)

Subs: Talbot, Phillips, Harwood