Gateshead 3-2 Sheffield FC

Bogie's Boys' winning Bond - by Jeff Bowron, Evening Chronicle, 7th January
Gateshead eased into the quarter final of the UniBond League Cup with a 3-2 win over first division Sheffield FC at the International Stadium on Saturday.

The Tynesiders rested regulars Peter Keen, Phil Cave, Steve Salvin and Graeme Armstrong while top scorer David Southern was restricted to a late cameo off the bench.

Ian Bogie's side, who host Tow Law Town in the last eight of the Durham Chalenge Cup on Wednesday, twice led by two goals against a plucky but limited Sheffield outfit.

The win however was a double edged sword as the next round on Saturday 9th February will force the league game at home to lowly Lincoln United to be rearranged.

No UniBond premier division side has played less than Gateshead's 20 league games and sixth placed Buxton joined Bogie's men on 37 points following a 5-1 win against Lincoln at the weekend.

Bogie said: "The League Cup win has taken another league game away from us which is unfortunate, but it's a long time since Gateshead had cup success and we're now in the last eight of two competitions."

"The Lincoln game will probably be rescheduled for midweek which won't be ideal for them but winning is a habit and increases confidence so I was happy to beat Sheffield."

"I made wholesale changes to rest players and give others the chance to stake a claim. We were two up and cruising but then conceded two sloppy goals late in the game which was disappointing."

The Tynesiders handed a debut to promising 16 year old central defender Stephen Robinson and the youngster did well before he limped off in the second half.

"Robinson started shakily which is perhaps understandable," added Bogie "but he did alright and we weren't as solid at the back after he had gone  off."

Record goalscorer Paul Thompson, later to drop back into defence, fired Gateshead ahead on 11 minutes from the penalty spot after a Tom Jones had fouled Jamie Harwood.

Central defender James Dudgeon increased the lead on the half hour from Jamie McClen's cross only for Sheffield to reduce the arrears through Vill Powell after 75 minutes.

Southern had been on the field for only three minutes when he drove home home a free kick but again Sheffield hit back through David Wilkins but it wasn't enough to prevent Gateshead from progressing.