Gateshead v Boston United


Gateshead were almost ahead within two minutes when a Graeme Armstrong ball found Jamie Harwood on the right and the midfielder cut inside and unleashed a shot that fell wide of Lee Crockett’s left hand post.

The supporters were in fine voice throughout and on ten minutes the home side were on their feet when a Davey Southern corner found Captain Steve Bowey who saw his effort blocked on the line and cleared to safety.

Three minutes later Gateshead were in front when a long ball found Armstrong who rounded the ‘keeper only to be bundled over by Crockett in the Boston goal, giving the referee no option but to award a penalty. Following a few missed penalties this season, it was Phil Cave who was on hand to clinically despatch the penalty to give his side a 1-0 lead.

Boston’s first real chance of the half came on 32 minutes when Ashley Nicholls found space 30 yards out only to blaze his effort high over the bar.

With half time approaching, Boston were almost back in the game when a looping ball from the right found Froggatt who jinxed past a defender and smashed a shot against the post with the ball eventually cleared to safety.

Half time 1-0

The second half saw Boston United come out much more positive and it was the away side who created most of the early chances with Stevenson coming close on 60 minutes, seeing his effort parried away by the returning Peter Keen.

Five minutes later and the visitors were level when Froggatt was given far too much space on the edge of the area and the striker coolly slotted home past the diving Keen and in to the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Gateshead’s reply was almost immediate when one minute later a Southern corner resulted in a scramble in the area and Bowey was on hand to poke the ball home from close range to restore the Tynesiders advantage.

The home side had two chances late on to rap up the game, the first resulting from a pass by Armstrong who found Southern with space in the box and the front man hit his powerful shot just over the bar.

With five minutes to go Armstrong had a glorious opportunity to secure the win when a Liam Atkin ball found the striker who blazed over from short range when it seemed easier to score.

Gateshead did however do enough to hold on and secure a 2-1 victory to see Ian Bogie’s men progress to the next round of the competition.

Gateshead: Keen, Baxter, Cave, Flynn, Jones, Bowey (Talbot 74mins), Phillips, Harwood (Atkin 63mins), McClen, Southern, Armstrong (Thompson 87mins)

Unused: Robson, Aitken