Kendal Town 1 - 3 Gateshead

Gatshead remain unbeaten away from the International Stadium following a 3-1 victory over Kendal Town on Tuesday night.

Phil Cave, Graeme Armstrong and Davey Southern goals were enough to secure all three points for the Tynesiders.

Ian Bogie's men began brightly as they looked to build upon a 2-2 away draw at Leek Town on Saturday.

It was the visitors who deservedly took the lead on 23 minutes when good link up play by Davey Southern and Wayne Phillips saw Graeme Armstrong through on goal only for the striker to be brought down in the box. Defender Phil Cave was then on hand to drive home the penalty to give Gateshead a 1-0 lead.

Kendal were determined not to give the promotion chasers an easy time however and could have equalised in the 33rd minute when Wright created a chance only to be denied thanks to a great saving challenge by James Curtis.

On 42 minutes Gateshead extended their lead when a terrific ball from skipper Kris Gate found Armstrong in the area who guided the ball past the advancing 'keeper to make it 2-0 to Gateshead.

Half time 0-2

Kendal looked much sharper in the second half and pulled a goal back just before the hour mark in bizarre fashion when a deep cross from Byrne was headed in to his own goal by Curtis to reduce the home side's arrears.

In an exciting game, chances were being created at both ends and on 73 minutes frustration got the better of the home side's captain Hallam who was lucky to be shown just a yellow card for a crunching tackle on Southern.

With ten minutes to go the game was effectively over when Hallam deservedly picked up a second yellow following a challenge on Armstrong and the player was punished further when Southern expertly guided the resulting freekick in to the bottom left corner of the net to extend the lead.

Deep in injury time Kendal's night was summed up when a freekick beat Allison in the Gateshead goal only to come back off the post for the third time in the match.

Moments later the whistle went, seeing the Tynesiders close the gap on leaders Whitton Albion, who could only draw, to six points with two games in hand.

Full time 1-3

Gateshead: Allison, Baxter, Cave, Flynn, Curtis, Gate (Talbot 89mins), mcClen, Harwood (Hughes 73mins), Southern, Armstrong (Robson 83mins), Phillips.

Att: 265