Gatehead v Shepshed Dynamo

Gateshead progressed to the next round of the FA trophy after a 2-1 victory over Shepshed Dynamo at the International Stadium on Saturday.

Manager Ian Bogie made changes from Gateshead's 1-0 victory against Ossett Town on Wednesday night with Phil Cave, Jamie Harwood and Davey Southern making way for Talbot, Robson and Thompson in a 3-5-2 formation.

17 minutes in and the home side went in front when a Craig Baxter cross from the right was not dealt with by Shepshed and the loose ball found the incoming Kris Gate who fired home his first goal for the club from six yards.

After 20 minutes Gateshead looked to sure things up at the back by reverting back to a more traditional 4-4-2 formation.

Despite the change in formation, Gateshead's lead lasted just four minutes when a resilient Shepshed Dynamo side hit back thanks to a a deep freekick that was not dealt with, resulting in Matt Hill heading back across goal for Tommy Leighton to guide the ball in to the bottom corner to level the game.

Half Time 1-1

The away side started the second half brightly and almost took the lead five minutes in when a weak clearance from Allison in the Gateshead goal saw Hill pick up the ball and chip the ball goalwards only to see his effort hit the underside of the bar with the assistant ruling that the ball had not crossed the line.

Three minutes later and Gateshead took the lead for the second time when a through ball by Jamie McClen found Robson who was fouled in the area and the referee had no hesitation in awarding the penalty and Paul Thompson was on hand to fire Gateshead in to a 2-1 lead.

On the hour mark Davey Southern and Graeme Armstrong replaced Robson and Thompson and the home side had a chance to exend their lead two minutes later when the two substitutes combined with Southern crossing for Armstrong and the striker headed wide when it was perhaps easier to hit the target.

Southern was again in the action on 70 minutes when good work with Phillips saw the ball fall to Armstrong who was again denied and minutes later it was Southern's turn to shoot only for his effort to go sailing over the bar.

In injury time the gloss was taken off the victory when for the second time in three games Gateshead had a man dismissed in the final minutes when Southern received a straight red card for desent.

Full time 2-1

Gateshead: Allison, Baxter, Talbot, Salvin, Curtis, Flynn, Robson (Southern 59 mins), McClen, Thompson (Armstrong 59 mins), Gate, Phillips (Bowey 70 mins)

Subs unused: Hughes, Cave

Attendance: 286