Lincoln United v Gateshead

Gateshead lie fourth in the Unibond Premier Division following an entertaining 3-3 draw against Lincoln United at Ashby Avenue.

The Tynesiders entered the game looking to get back to winning ways following a disappointing result against Ilkeston Town, however it was the hosts that gained the early initiative when poor defending saw a cross from the right fall to Danny Brooks who scored from close range after just three minutes, hitting the ball past debutant Scott Allison in the Gateshead goal.

Ten minutes later and the visitors were back on level terms when a Steve Salvin header found Jamie Harwood, only for the winger to be fouled inside the area. A penalty was awarded and Phil Cave slotted home to make the score 1-1.

Controversy occured on 41 minutes when Brooks, who had previously been booked, commited an almost identical challenge as his first yellow card, however the Linclon United player was spared a second bookable offence by the referee.

Half Time 1-1

The second half was a competitive affair, however it was on 70 minutes that the game burst into life. Constant Gateshead pressure resulted in a corner, which was delivered by Davey Southern and the forward saw his delivery meet the head of Jamie Curtis who headed home to give the vistors a 2-1 lead.

Seven minutes later and Gateshead extended their lead when a penetrating run down the left from Wayne Phillips saw Graeme Armstrong receive the ball inside the area and the striker fired past the Lincoln United 'keeper to put daylight between the two teams.

With Gateshead seemingly cruising, the hosts got themselves back in the game with 12 minutes to go when a ball from the left found substitute Simon Bird who finished well to halve the defecit.

With two minutes of injury time played, it looked as though the Tynesiders were about to leave Lincolnshire with all three points, only for Lincoln United to equalise moments before the final whistle when a speculative ball upfield was not dealt with by the away side's defence and Bird was on hand to grab his second of the game and rescue a point for the home side.

Things went from bad to worse for Ian Bogie's men when captain Steve Salvin was sent off late on following an altercation with a Lincoln United player, which saw the midfielder receive a straight red card.

Gateshead: Allison, Baxter, Cave, Curtis, Flynn, Salvin, Southern (Robson 85 mins), McClen (Hughes 74mins), Armstong, Harwood, Phillips.

Unused: Talbot

Booked: Baxter, Salvin (red)

Attendance: 152