North Ferriby 1, Gateshead 4

Gateshead came from 1-0 down at half time to win the game 4-1 with goals from David Southern, Chris Hughes, Steve Salvin and his first for Gateshead - Ian Robson.

Assistant Manager Jeff Wrightson said shortly after the game: "At half time we told the lads to keep their discipline and play their football and it will create chances. The Referee appeared to wanting the attention and took the opportunity to stop and start the game, but in the second half we got the ball down, played with the width of the field and were rewarded with four good goals."

Despite the stop/start nature of the game it was Gateshead who created the best of the chances in the first half hour of the game. On 18 minutes Graeme Armstrong laid off Wayne Phillips who do no more than fire a shot towards goal, which Antoni Pecora tipped Gateshead's best effort of the half over the bar.

Controversy on 31 minutes saw Andy Hayward find the net in a scrappy goal while James Curtis lay on the floor at the half way line after an apparent stamp. Ian Bogie showed his frustration at referee Mr. Newman as did Phillips who received a yellow card.

Mr. Newman then denied a clear penalty for Gateshead when Armstrong was taken out in the box after making a darting run towards goal, just two minutes after play resumed, and Curtis had returned to the action after receiving treatment.

Half Time: North Ferriby 1, Gateshead 0.

The half time talk by Bogie and Wrightson obviously did the job and David Southern score his third in two matches with a free-kick to be proud of. A low shot hit hard across the ground left Pecora for dead and the 48th minute equaliser set the visitors on their way.

Southern then turned provider on 52 minutes, as he has done many times already this season, after receiving the ball from Steve Bowey on the right wing. Southern squared a pass low to the feet of Chris Hughes who couldn't miss, beating Pecora who frantically dived to the midfielders feet in vain.

Curtis was then stamped on again during the build up of another goal, although this time for Gateshead, but it didn't stop the Tynesider receiving a yellow card for dissent, despite showing the referee the clear red boot imprint on his stomach which could be seen 20 yards away in the stands.Robson - First Gateshead Goal

The goal itself saw Curtis taken out in the box but for Southern to control the ball, turn the defender and supply a high cross this time to meet the head of Steve Salvin to make it 3-1 on 77 minutes. Richard Flynn then replaced Chris Hughes before the kick-off.

As the game reached its conclusion Ian Robson and Paul Thompson came on to replace Southern and Armstrong who had worked tirelessly all evening and Robson staked a claim for a first team place with an individual goal during injury time. His brief run ended with a 25-yard shot which beat Pecora and flew into the bottom left corner.

Full Time: North Ferriby 1, Gateshead 4.

Attendance: 156.

Gateshead Line-up: Keen, Baxter, Cave, Bowey, Curtis, Salvin, Southern (Robson 86), McClen, Armstrong (Thompson 89), Hughes (Flynn 78), Phillips.