Gateshead 5, Frickley Athletic 2

A crowd of 360 watched Gateshead continue their 100% record for the season and make it 16 matches unbeaten under Ian Bogie with a 5-2 onslaught of strugglers Frickley Athletic.

Frickley came into the game without a win in five matches this season and Gateshead manager Ian Bogie kept the same starting line-up that won at Worksop 4-0 last Saturday.

Graeme Armstrong and David Southern both came close in the opening exchanges but it was Jamie Harwood who scored the first goal of the game on 19 minutes from a Southern corner. The ball was touched on in the box by Steve Salvin and Harwood headed home for his first of the game.

Three minutes later and Gateshead made it 2-0. Harwood became the provider as he crossed from the right wing for Armstrong to head and beat Jon Hood in the Frickley goal.

Harwood set up Armstrong again on 34 minutes but the first time shot just flew over the crossbar as Gateshead looked to extend their lead.

Harwood scored his second of the game on 36 minutes with another header, which was again supplied by David Southern, this time a left wing cross to the back post.

Frickley then became frustrated and this was shown with the bookings to Carl Wood (who was substituted at half time) and Danny Walsh in the first half.

Half Time: Gateshead 3, Frickley Athletic 0.

Frickley continued to their frustration in the second half with an early booking for Steve Ball, but Gateshead didn't stop attacking and scored a fourth on 62 minutes.

Southern ran into the box down the left and chipped Hood only to see his shot curve away from the back of the net and hit the far post. The ball then fell kindly for captain Steve Salvin who volleyed in from 6-yards for his fifth goal in four matches this season.

Frickley pulled a goal back on 66 minutes through young striker Nathan Hotte but when Gateshead were rewarded a penalty two minutes later Harwood stepped up and completed his second hat-trick for the club, and his fourth in four for the season.

As the game continued a tackle from behind by Chris Hilton on Craig Baxter and when the Gateshead retaliated he left the referee with no option but to show the red card to Baxter, but a second yellow to Hilton.

Riichard Flynn made a late tackle in injury time and Danny Davidson made it 5-2 with a superb free-kick, which was the last kick of the game to give Frickley Athletic the final word.

Final Score: Gateshead 5, Frickley Athletic 2.

Attendance: 360.

Gateshead Line-up: Keen, Baxter, Talbot (Cave 72), McClen (Phillips 64), Curtis, Flynn, Southern, Salvin, Armstrong, Harwood (Robson 75), Hughes.